I'VE FAILED THIS CITY...

If my body were Oliver Queen, and I was the city, it would protest that I've failed it. Clearly I am not quite skilled in practicing the art of self-discipline on business trips.
There was food that called me, even beckoned me to try it out. It's not every day that I get to eat fried chicken that has been double-fried and dipped into a sweet soy-glaze sauce that crackles and crunches when you bite into it like every commercial for KFC that falsely advertises their "crunchy chicken". So, if you're ever in the vicinity of a Bon Chon, you're going to understand.
Well if that at least puts you into the understanding of where my dilemmas were in just the fried chicken alone, then you'll gather where I'm coming from.

On the upside, my working out really only consisted of walking like a maniacal hamster for work, and then a long two day stretch of walking in NY. On average, those walks were about 5.5-6 miles long. NY was obviously the longest stretch at about 8.5 miles in one day. With that came swollen ankles, and not a lot of water consumption. So, note to self, even if it's leisure walking (which mine wasn't, thanks to my friend who is a giant and probably won't ever have sympathy on my short legs and what I have to do to overcome the girth of his steps) drink up lots of water for those cute little ankles you're sporting to be summer ready.

The things I noticed on this trip was how much I felt bloated and heavy and just an all encompassing gross feeling. I did have an ice cream in NY, and I had coffee with cream several days out of the week. I ate a lot of gluten. A LOT! And of course, reap the rewards of that.

The hotel, big shout-out to Residence Inn Polaris, had breakfast every morning from 6:30am-8:30am. Unfortunately, by the second week of work, our hours were to go in earlier and I didn't give myself enough time in the morning to wake up and make my own breakfast. Since I had to go into work an hour earlier, it meant I didn't have my choice of boiled eggs, fruit cups, scrambled eggs, toast, two kinds of sausage, waffles, oatmeal and berries... the list goes on. You get it.

I've got no excuses, that's laziness in full form. I should have just prepared myself for that transition and bought food accordingly.
I'll try to get back to letting you know how everything went down and you know what an average week looked like for me and how I can fix some of the holes I created for myself.
Now that I'm back in Portland, and into the new place, I'm going to see what my bike commute will look like in the morning for work. I'll keep you guys posted a few times every month, but right now I'm working on writing enough to have a consistent thing going with this blog.

Comments

Popular Posts